Raspberry Pi & Pandora with Remote - Part 1

I listen to music all the time while I'm working, and after I found Pandora I just had to get a subscription. I've never subscribed to any online service, so that tells you how much I really like this service. (You don't have to subscribe to pandora to use the following software. It can be used with a free login too.)

http://www.pandora.com/

Silence to me... is boring as hell/stretches out time/ and I like to sing (not that well, but I don't care who's listening), and music helps me concentrate.

So during the day, I usually work in my office on different things. But sometimes I need to stop my main PC, so I can use it for parts and testing, which leaves me without any music.

I brought a Raspberry PI B+ with the package that included the 8 gig card with NOOB os's on it and a case. (I didn't get the wifi addon, which I regret now)

I originally wanted to see if I could use it as a torrenting pc, but after much mucking around, I didn't get it sorted. But recently I thought that maybe it would be a good media streaming unit and could be used with Pandora.

As I found out, a program on Linux called Pianobar has been available for a while now that allows you to use your Pandora account and also with an addon, control it via a app on your phone or tablet. (The plus to this is that there aren't any ads or pauses to)

So after much mucking around, this is the method I used to get it working, and working well. (This project is more for me to remember how I set this up, as is anything on this Blog.)

Here it is from start to finish:

The Setup
You will need:



1x Raspberry Pi (I have the B+)
1x micro sd card (8 Gig minimum) with NOOBS Installed (See NOOBS details later)
1x keyboard (for typing and selecting initial commands)
1 x 5v power adaptor (I'm using the spare one for my Samsung YP-G70)
1 x hdmi video cable (I was lucky enough to have a hdmi to dvi cable)
1 x hdmi compatible monitor (My case I just had a dvi monitor)
1 x Speakers (for testing I'm using Logitech Multimedia Speakers Z213, has a subwoofer)
1 x network cable (to link to the net)

(: Edit - I have recently added a Wifi Adaptor... So much better now :)

And a PC with windows, for remote connection and configuring the RasPi
Software needed: PuTTY



First Step:
Wiping your Raspberry Pi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Allied Telesis Switches with PuTTy

FASTER - Arma 3 Server Manager (#Arma3_DIYDGS) Part 1

#DIYDGS - The Basics - Learning Steam_CMD