Radio Station Pi

Using Raspberry Pi to stream audio (from a Windows pc) to a PA system

I've been looking at some of the projects available out there for Raspberry Pi, and I'm trying to find something to occupy my time as a hobby.

I really like working with the Raspberry Pi (I've only got version b+) and have been trying different projects out.

One of the projects I successfully created was using a pi to be a digital display unit in the foyer of the school I work at. After experimenting with a few things, (Feh and PiPresents) I've got it working well (with PiPresentsNext) which also includes NAS on the Pi, with a "aways live" folder accessible from pcs on the network. As a picture or video is added, it will automatically add it to the current slideshow of photos and videos. :) I also added the pandora/pianobar process to it too, so I can have it play music if I want. I might add my method I used to build it on here.

One project that wasn't successful, was trying to use Pianobar with a LCD 16x2 with 5 button display. I found a lot of details about how to connect up other LCDs, but this specific display doesn't have a lot of detail on it, on the net. I2C Interface RGB1602 DIY EasyKey control Pi Module
I got to display some text and also display some colours, but not much else... which sucks.

Yesterday, I had a Teacher come to me and ask about using our school pa system for a radio station kind of setup, and how we could possible do this.

I've seen a couple of projects on here about using a pi to be a radio station, but its not really what we want to do.

After researching some projects out there, I came across a thread:
Using Pi to stream all audio output from my pc to my stereo
and from what I read, it seem like the possible project that could work for our school.

With the use of Lineincode and Putty's Plink, we could stream any audio from any windows pc on the network, wirelessly to a Raspberry Pi linked to our PA system we use here at the school.

I'm still having some issues with running the batch file and getting a connection to my pi via wifi. But I'll hopefully find a solution.

I'm also looking at some windows software called Radio DJ to be the program that could help control the content and any voice broadcasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Allied Telesis Switches with PuTTy

FASTER - Arma 3 Server Manager (#Arma3_DIYDGS) Part 1

#DIYDGS - The Basics - Learning Steam_CMD