#DIYDGS - The Hardware I'm Using...

Ok, here's what I've got to help run my dedicated servers.

The Hardware

I have a PC/Server at home that I use for running Plex and also occasionally game servers. 

Its not the best server, but I'll give you the specs for it now:

  • CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 - LGA1151
  • MBoard: GIGABYTE B150M-D3H-CF - Intel B150
  • Graphics: Onboard - Intel HD Graphics 610
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR 4 - 2666
  • Drives: 1x 120gb M2 (Windows)
                1x 512 GB (Dedicated Servers)
                3 x 4 TB (Movies, TV Shows)
                1x 3TB (Old Movies)
  • OS: Windows 10
  • Network: Ethernet to Router (Fiber link... It's kinda fast)


So as you can see, its not much of a server machine, but its good enough.

This machine is setup and running in my spare room at home. It's just hooked up to power and network.. that's its.

The Software

I have Windows 10 installed, but have disabled most of the flashy gimmicks. I used Winareo Tweaker, which allowed me to turn off and turn on features in windows. Including all the telemetry incorporated in it.  (Caution: Some of it is required for updating drivers and features you might need in windows... so be careful using it. Luckily the software has a reset option to clear all your changes.) 

The gaming software we will go over later...

The Access

With the hardware/software in place, all I need to do now is get access to it when I need to.

I use Windows Remote Desktop connection when I'm at home, from my gaming pc, to sort any issues. If need be, I can plug a screen in.

But most of the time I have been using Chrome Remote Desktop when I'm not at home. I would really recommend it if you are wanting a free remote access program. Simple and easy to setup and available with any computer that has Chrome installed and can be used from iPad and Android phones too.

The only requirements is the lasted version of Google Chrome, of course and the installation of the CRD software to help with keeping the server online for accessing.

My only issue is connections to the website is sometimes flakey, but most of the time I get on and sort out what I need to.

Ok that's it so far... 

The next post... Gaming Managing Software >>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FASTER - Arma 3 Server Manager (#Arma3_DIYDGS) Part 1

Configuring Allied Telesis Switches with PuTTy

#DIYDGS - The Basics - Learning Steam_CMD