Fingerprint Scanning not working in win11

This title is not totally truthful. The issue turned out to be nothing to do with the scanner or windows 11 really.

For me, it was because of the domain login for users.

After a lot of funking around, I eventually figured that this was an issue with domain login and the use of using a pin or other type of login.

The laptops that I was configuring are Dell Latitude 5420's, which are nice little units.

I had reconfigured them for use here I work, but after I handed it over to a user, they asked about using the fingerprint login for their laptop. I went through to the accounts page: 

Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options


And found that all the options for doing this type of login was "This option is currently unavailable". 

If I clicked on the login method I wanted to use, I also got the error "Something went wrong. Try again later." and the option "Sign in with Windows, apps, and services" and its button "Set up" greyed out, so it couldn't be used. (See below)

After searching for all these error messages and seeing a lot of suggestions saying that you need to update the drivers for the finger scanner, or delete it and reinstall it, (which I tried of course) I clicked on to the fact that the domain login and a possible group policy could be causing this issue.

After a bit of searching on the topic of "Windows Hello" (A feature that encompasses the use of pins and bio tech to login to windows) I found a suggestion to use a registry change to windows to allow for pin use while being in a domain. (Enable Windows Hello on a domain joined PC)

So create a file labelled "winpin.reg" and just paste in the following into the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]

"AllowDomainPINLogon"=dword:00000001


Drop the reg file onto the desktop of the laptop and double click it, when you want to add to the registry. And that should be all you need. 

Restart the pc and you should see the options for using a pin/face and finger for login on a domain, are available to use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FASTER - Arma 3 Server Manager (#Arma3_DIYDGS) Part 1

Configuring Allied Telesis Switches with PuTTy

#DIYDGS - The Basics - Learning Steam_CMD